What does it mean to calculate your no show rate?
A key key performance indicator (KPI) for practices is their no show rate. A no show rate gives practices insight into a number of key operational components, like provider utilization.
How do practices calculate their no show rate today?
- 6% of practices aren't sure
- 44% calculate it using marked no shows in their EHR
- 31% calculate through marked no shows and same-day cancellations
- 19% calculate through marked no shows and same-day cancellations/reschedules
What is the most accurate and actionable way to calculate the no show rate?
Marked no shows + same-day cancellations/reschedules gives practices the most accurate picture of their no show rate and the corresponding size of the problem.
- A “no show” affects practices because it’s unused doctor time. Same-day cancellations and reschedules often result in the same practice waste.
- To have the complete picture on “unused doctor time”, it’s important to include same-day cancellations and reschedules in the no show definition.